Hello Friends, Fans, and Family Members.
It is I, Laur, writing to you from Oakland, California on this the 23rd day of March in the year of 2020.
Today the sky is slate gray and scudded with clouds. I did not sleep well. Was awake from 4:00AM to 6:00AM. This might explain the strange voice with which I’ve chosen to address you all.
Shelter in place continues to be in effect. All indications suggest that it will likely stretch longer than the original April 7th. I’m looking at months now instead of weeks. That’s a really dizzying thought.
Luckily, my imagination is extremely vivid. So while my body may decay and fester, my brain will continue to spin endless tales and fantasies.
Something I’ve been trying to focus on more and more is the future and what it could look like. I am only a single person with a singular view of the world, but I’m hoping that I can attempt to manifest a more compassionate and just future that isn’t run by capitalism.
To that end, here are some of my dreams:
- I imagine a world structured on the community level.
- I imagine a world without prisons.
- I imagine a world where people commit their lives to something they find worthwhile and meaningful.
- I imagine a world where everyone has enough to eat.
- I imagine a world where race does not define a person’s chance for success.
- I imagine a world where gender does not define a person’s chance for success.
- I imagine a world where teaching and education are the most revered roles.
- I imagine a world where art, music, and writing are seen as necessary rather than luxury.
- I imagine a world where the environment is nurtured, where humans cultivate a symbiotic relationship with their surroundings.
- I imagine a world where money does not exist, does not determine a person’s value, does not decide whether a person should live or die.
I imagine a lot more than this, of course. Something to do with unicorns and a cat for every home, but that would take a much longer blogpost, and I feel that this is enough for me to attempt to manifest in one day.
I would love to know how other people imagine the future. What would you like it to look like? What would you add to this list? What can I do today to make it more likely to happen in the near future?
Thank you as always for reading.